Wednesday, March 4, 2015

St. George's, Grenada: Saturday, February 28th

Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day.....
I was quite anxious (to say the least) about our excursion today since we were going on a swim and snorkel trip in the open ocean on a catamaran.  I'm not a strong swimmer and I am usually quite afraid to swim in the ocean.  HOWEVER, what a surprise!!  Today turned out to be my favorite excursion on the entire two-month trip!!!

I was walking along the dock towards the catamaran when I looked ahead and saw how high it set in the water.  My first thought was how am I ever going to get myself up that high to even get on the boat!  I haven't done anything like that since flight attendant training, when I had to get inside the lifeboat from the water, and that time I had help from lots of my friends!!!  When it was my turn to board the boat two crew members told me not to worry because it was a piece of cake.  They held on and hoisted me up without a flinch (or breaking their backs).  Amazing!!!  Whew, one hurdle accomplished.  Now, it was time to face the water.  This called for a compromise.  Bob donned the snorkel gear and jumped in the water.  However,  I remained on the boat with a few other wusses and enjoyed the sun.

While he was in the water the guide took him, and the other snorkelers, to the Underwater Sculpture Park in Molinere Reef.  They enjoyed a series of approximately 15 different sculptures in sea depths of 15-30 feet.  When tourism on the island was dwindling a number of years ago, a local artist decided to become proactive and do something to increase interest in the island.  So, he created a large sculpture and sunk it in the bay.  Over time, more artists have created sculptures and added them to the collection, creating a spectacular underwater sculpture garden.  Most of the sculptures are made with a combination of concrete and ribar.  Each of the sculptures has multiple components.  Included in the many sculptures are a ring of approximately ten children linking hands, a man working at his desk with a typewriter, 16 female forms laying on the ocean floor, a vase and bowl of fruit on a table, and a man riding a bicycle.

The underground park attracts marine life and tourists.  It is one of the major tourist sites on the island.  The dynamic changes brought about by being exposed to the power of the ocean constantly change the appearance of the sculptures.  However, they remain a magnificent sight.  Bob has a few photos if anyone is interested.  Just email him at drbobusc@gmail.com.  Once the swimmers returned to the boat we were off and sailing to Hog Island, where the crew and their families prepared an incredibly sumptuous feast including enormous lobsters which they cooked over an open fire, potato salad, green salad, and french bread.

I've always considered Maine lobster to be the gold standard.  However, I've changed my mind after devouring the Caribbean lobster we had today  First, the lobsters were HUGE.  I have never seen lobsters this big.  They filled the entire large dinner plates.  Still, they were extremely tender which usually doesn't happen with larger lobsters.  They were barbequed using lots of butter and seasonings which gave them a rich, luscious flavor.  Just thinking about it makes my mouth water!  In addition, a mother of one of the crew members made a potato salad and green salad which were absolutely delicious.  It was truly a family affair.  So enjoyable.  Of course there was plenty of Caribbean beer to go around.  Luckily for me, they also served water.  We had time to relax on the small island and enjoy our magnificent surroundings.

Before before and after lunch lunch I took a dip in the beautiful clear, turquoise water.  The water was warm and the sun was bright - perfect conditions for a relaxing swim.  The surf was so gentle I felt quite safe being alone in the water.  As everyone else was on the sand enjoying their beer I had the water to myself!!!  I enjoyed schools of fish as they swam next to me.  Back on the sand, Bob began to notice I was gone and started looking for me.  It never occurred to him that I might be in the water along!  Finally, I got his attention and he was quite surprised.

Too soon it was time to reboard the catamaran and return to the ship.  This time we used the stairs on the boat that extended into the water and it was much easier to get on board.  I was quite thankful.  The captain started the motor and we were on our way.  Soon the sails were trimmed and they began to lift us as we gracefully surfed the waves.

I settled into a comfortable place on the boat as the crew turned on some island music.  Occasionally the surf would gently splash up and spray us with just enough water to keep us cool under the heat of the afternoon sun.  It was a perfect way to finish a beautiful day.  I started out this morning with many reservations about this excursion.  All my fears were put to rest as the crew attended to every detail and made sure sure that we were comfortable and enjoying the trip.  This day has turned out to be my favorite excursion of the entire two month trip.  Next up for us, Curacao!!


No comments:

Post a Comment